Sunday, August 22, 2010

Yard Sale

We decided to have a yard sale and raise some money to help pay for some old medical bills. It’s a lot harder than it sounds. For a few months now, I’ve been going through a few things. Clothes, books (I have an obsession with buying them but I end up never reading them), old board game, etc. I guess I hadn’t gone through as much as I thought because I still had a ton of things to do. Unfortunately, I waited until the last minute to do it. I organized my craft draws, bathroom, closet, and garage. After 2 whole days of cleaning, organizing, and throwing things away I had a small trailer and the back of our Jeep full of stuff to sale. That night the hubby and I got to bed at 2 and had to wake up at 5 (luckily my mom and lil G had a sleep over that night and the next day so I didn’t have to stress about him).

We got up and went up to my In Laws (we couldn’t have the yard sale at our house because there is road construction on our road). One of my SILs (sister-in-laws) had brought up some items and another SIL baked a bunch of goodies for us to sale. After setting up and posting the signs, we waited for people to arrive and we didn’t need to wait long. People just kept coming! I was worried that we wouldn't make too much but we did great! We made more money than I thought we would and we only left with 5 boxes in the back of the Jeep. I just want to thank everyone who bought things, sold things, and just sent us good thoughts.

I learned a few things while having our yard sale: 1. Advertise- anywhere you can. On bulletin boards, sign posts, Craig’s List, anywhere! 2. Watch your customer’s and don’t be afraid to mark things down. I would walk around and see how people reacted to prices. If 3 or 4 people picked something up, looked at the price, and then put it down, I would go through and lower the price when things got slow. 3. Rearrange- I know if I go to a store and the shelves are bare or unorganized I don’t stay long to look around. I was constantly moving things around and if I cleared a table I would take it down. I really think that this help to keep people browsing.

Again, Thanks to everyone who helped out and/or came by. You guys helped a lot!

This is a picture of goodies that my SIL made of us.
(I took a lot of pictures but only this one turned out.)



No comments:

Post a Comment