Monday, August 23, 2010

Homemade, well sort of, German Chocolate Cake

My mom's 50th birthday day was a couple of weeks ago and my siblings and I threw her a party. It was really nice and simple but the one thing she really wanted was a German Chocolate Cake. Like I have said before, I procrastinate so the night before I had to make something. I mixed together a boxed Chocolate Cake mix and decided to make the topping from scratch.


I found the recipe for the topping at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Chocolate-Cake-Frosting/Detail.aspx
  • 1 cup Evaporated Milk
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 3 Egg Yolks
  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 cup Pecans
  • 1 1/3 cup Flaked Coconut
You combine the evaporated milk, brown sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla and cook over low heat stirring constantly. I don't think I added the egg yolks because I was talking to my cousin while I made this so when it didn't thicken I turned the heat to high and boiled it until it was thick so if you miss that part, it will still work. Then remove from the heat and stir in the pecans and coconut. It turned out great and my mom loved it! It just goes to show that if you spend just a little bit of time you can tum a simple box cake mix into something special.



No comments:

Post a Comment